Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sgt. Pepper's Magical Mystery Band

A friend and I recently came to the conclusion that "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" and "Magical Mystery Tour" are very similar albums

A few of the most important similarities:  They both...
1. are chronologically adjacent
2. are self-titled
3. feature their respective title tracks as the first track
4. have multiple "dark" Paul songs
5. feature one each of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" and "I Am The Walrus"
6. are one of the psychedelic Beatles albums

So, I wanted to put the albums side by side, and find a match for each song from one on the other

First task:  Pepper's has two more songs that Mystery, so I had to eliminate two.  One of the Sgt. Pepper's title tracks was out, since there are two.  I went with the intro, because "Magical Mystery Tour", the song is only an intro, and one of the SPLHCB title tracks is an outro, which together with MMT, the song, could serve as bookends for a super album.

As I started matching up songs, some went well together, and some went really well together.  "Within You, Without You", for example went really well with "Flying", as they are both largely instrumental.  The matches went pretty well, and I'm not sure what order I did everything in, but the leftovers were "Good Morning Good Morning" and "Lovely Rita" from Sgt. Pepper's and "Baby You're a Rich Man" from Mystery.  I paired GMGM with BYRM, but only out of necessity.  Sadly, "Lovely Rita" was the odd man out in this particular scenario, though I very much enjoy that song.

I was making these matches in a playlist as I went.  The backbone of the playlist is MMT, and it goes in order, every other song.  The Pepper's songs are adjacent to and precede their "match", every other song.  The only two songs that break this rule are MMT, the song, and SPLHCB (Reprise), as they are first and last respectively.

An argument could be made to switch a few of these matches, because some songs have multiple "twins" on the other album.  I matched "Fixing a Hole", for example, with "Fool On The Hill", but I could make an argument for "Your Mother Should Know".

Here's the playlist:  Enjoy!

Sgt. Pepper's Magical Mystery Band

No comments: